Friday, October 5, 2007

Formal Friday: The Mommy Makeover

I haven't posted in a while due to time constraints. That's what happens when you are a single mom living in a hustle and bustle world. The one thing I've learned from motherhood is that perfection isn't necessary. Yes, you heard that out of my mouth (or more like read if off my blog). I have noticed lately that I'm not too picky when the floor isn't clean, or I haven't vacuumed in a week (which I use to do every other day), but there are more important things to do, like watch my son grow. Which leads me to the mommy makeover.

This site (if you choose not to look at the link) supports women trying to get back the youthful pre-child days. I say youthful days because as all of us mothers know, we had more energy, more sleep, more time, more money, and less obligations before our little bundles of joy came into our lives. By trying to get back those days, we must bring ourselves under the knife and cut away our hard earned badges of glory. Another website put it bluntly, “The message is that, after having children, women’s bodies change for the worse. If marketing could turn the post pregnancy body into a socially unacceptable thing, think of how big your audience would be and how many surgeries you could sell them," and this is coming from the Fashion and Style segment in the New York Times.

I had a talk with my friend just yesterday along this same topic. She gave birth about two months ago, and she was already drilling me about how long it took for me to get back into my pre-pregnancy jeans. I looked at her will all honestly and told her, "Never. The only items I have in my closet that are from before are just jackets. I never plan on seeing the pre-alec body or life ever again."

To me that statement was bittersweet. Yes I had a great life before, but I have a great life now. I actually have some thing worthwhile in my life now. Something that I can show off and say, "look how good I am at being a mother, a teacher, and a friend." I have a shinning star. I have the love of my life, and I sing and kiss him just about every night before bed (although I wish it were every night)! Maybe my life is messier, maybe I have a stretch marked belly, gravity supporting body parts, and bigger jean sizes. Maybe my life doesn't fit into the "picture perfect" idea of woman, but I love me just the way I am. I also have a man that loves me just the way I am....how could life get any better?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes I remember my pre Jenni days and my hot little bod I'd go showing off to all the ladies. It was amazing back then how you could go out and not have a clue on where you were at and what you were doing but still have what you thought was a good ol time. Wait a minute let's get back to that hot bod of mine. I look back at those days now and realize that yes I was to sexy for my shirt, that's why I didn't wear one, and yes I was to sexy for my long blue demin levi's that's why I wore shorts. Gotcha didn't I you thought I was going to say something else eh? Well maybe those days weren't as glamorous as I have painted them but I will tell you one thing. It is tuff being a 50 year old in a teenage body :) .