Friday, October 12, 2007

Formal Friday: Planned Parenthood

When I say the name Planned Parenthood, what comes to mind?

For me, I think of help.

I had started going to planned parenthood when I was just over 16. My mother took me to a OB-Gyn for the first time. She told me that it was important that a woman take care of herself and get a womanly physical each year. While we were at the doctor's office, some issues came to the forefront. It seemed that I had Endometriosis. The only drug available to help with this issue is birth control pills. Apparently the hormones in the pills help regulate the abdominal pain by lessening the amount of estrogen in the body. My insurance would not pay for the birth control pills because they are an elective medication. They referred me to the closest PP, the one in Avon.

I would go each month to PP and pay for my medication, all of 5 dollars a month. This was much better than the $50 I would of had to pay at the pharmacy. I started getting my annual physical there as well (which was free until I turned 21, then it cost $15). If it were not for PP, I would have spent an arm load for medical treatment I needed, or I would have stopped seeking the treatment I needed.

I currently read this blog and I was moved by the change in perspective this doctor had. IN fact, my favorite lines in the whole things are this:

In fact, it may sound ironic, but I’m pretty confident when I say this: No matter what your
feelings are about the subject, there would be more abortions performed in this
country if Planned Parenthood didn’t exist.
Let me explain.
The patients I’ve seen have been, in general, young, healthy women, ages 12 to 26. They
come in primarily for three things:
  1. annual exams (pap smears, breast exams, etc.),
  2. sexually-transmitted infection (STIs) diagnosis and treatment,
  3. and birth control.
In general, I was a participant in numbers 1 and 3 (They automatically do 2 when you go for an annual exam).

I now am without insurance, and I will be going back to my roots to keep taking care of myself. If it weren't for PP, I don't know if I could.

No comments: