Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Short Story.

I got a phone call that every mother dreads last night. "We are headed to the Emergency Room." My stomach dropped through the floor and for one brief moment, nothing existed on the planet but my son.

"What is going on?"

"Alec fell and he keeps complaining about his elbow hurting." I can barely make this out as I hear crying and screaming in the background. I know he is talking louder than a whisper, but my highly tuned mommy senses know that my baby's cries are all I can bare to stand.

"The Avon ER? I'm there."

"Well I have to wait..."

"It doesn't matter, I'm there."

"On Erin to get here for Cooper."

"I'll see you when you get there."

All I could think about was the story I was told many many times many many moons ago. Alec's father went through the same thing at about the same age. He shattered his elbow climbing a tree. He had many surgeries, and the doctors couldn't promise anything. Well as we know he is fine, but there were many sleepless nights on his mother's behalf, praying that her son would be okay. I turned my eyes up, and prayed a small prayer as I passed the parking lot of the hospital.

I could hear my son asking for me as I walked up to the truck. I scanned the body of my toddler, checking to make sure everything "looked" intact. I know every fiber, every inch of that child, down to the freckle on his pointer finger and small birth mark on his shin. He seemed okay, no tears on his cheeks, but fear and anguish in his eyes. My heart broke.

"How are you feeling sweetie?"

"My elbow hurts, Mommy."

"I heard that you fell. That's why I'm here sugar. We are going to go in this building and the nice doctors are going to help the pain go away."

"Okay," a tiny, small, defeated voice echoed back in the hallway.

The visit was short. We were there only an hour and a half. All the doctors fell in love with the blonde haired, blue eyed angel. They brought sticker, graham crackers, saltines, cheese, and juice just to see the tiny smile on his cherub cheeks.

My heart swelled with pride when one of the nurses introduced Josh and I to the X-ray tech as Alec's wonderful parents. A small victory for me. I loved hearing these words.

"It's not broken." I loved hearing these words even more. "It seems like there might be some fractures in the bone. We are going to wrap him up in a temporary cast, and you will go see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow or Friday to see what is exactly going on."

I breathed a sigh of relief. We were going to be okay. My son was going to be okay.

No comments: