Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thirsty Thursday:give kindness and support

A few day ago, my best friend and I went to lunch at the local Olive Garden. There we sat, being our normal obnoxious, all but too loud, selves eating and enjoying each other's company. After a few min of giggles and mayhem, I noticed a quiet couple sitting next to us. They were just like every other couple sitting in the place, but he was wearing army Cammie's. I smiled a big smile at them and went on my way to gorging myself with bread sticks and salad. I noticed out of the corner of my eye an elderly woman had walked up to this couple. Using my mommy ears (yes I was eavesdropping, but I don't care), I heard the woman say to the man, "Here have this card to pay for your lunch. It's all I can do to show you how much I appreciate you." She handed him a gift card and walked away.

Even now when I think about this, my eyes water up. I was moved by her compassion and thoughtfulness. It also made me want to become a better person, one that would reach out a kind and gentle hand to a stranger.

For this Thirsty Thursday I am urging all of you to dig deep and find that kind hearted gesture that you have been putting off, or maybe one hasn't crossed your mind? Watch the people around you, I am sure one needs a pick me up.

The last thing I ask of all of you... support our troops. This was an ultimate act of support. One person giving something to show her appreciation. I don't have much to give, but I can think of one thing that all of us have that is free. TRUTH. If we demand the truth about the war, and settle for no less, we might be able to protect those men and woman along with their families from having to suffer. We might be able to help, if we all work together.

No comments: