Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tirade Tuesday: Freakin English Teachers

As all of you know, I'm going to school to become a future educator. In my classes we are learning that the best teaching is one that is student led.


We have to come up with an integrated lesson plan involving English (for my English class). At the beginning of the semester, she talked about our integrated lesson plan and wanted to know what classes we were taking. We told her technology, art, music, math, and science. She nodded her head and repeated science.

Well on Monday she talked more about our integrated lesson plan. She talked about how we were going to link it to science, and blah blah blah blah blah....

I raised my hand and asked if I could do an integrated lesson plan with Math. I feel a little uncomfortable working with mathematics, so I would like the experience to work with it on some more assignments.

She said.....

NO
We are working with science....final.

Uhhh, okay....What happened to student led teachings? Am I asking too much to do something just a little different? Is she really only worried because she doesn't know mathematics herself?

Stupid teachers...if she only knew. If she would have given me a viable reason to NOT do a mathematics/English lesson I would have complied. Ha, now I'm going to get on her ever loving nerves because she flat out told me no.

Yes I'm a brat. Yes I like to get my way. If I felt for one minute I was asking too much, then I would stop. Well, Here's to hoping, for her sake, I find that stopping point soon.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Surprise her and intergrate BOTH Math and Science (example: weights and measurement, scientifically based mathematical formulas/equations) and "NEVER" take NO for the final answer!!!!

Even the best educators make the biggest mistake of all by limiting the student's creative enthusiasm. A better answer from said prof would have been, "I would like to see you develop an English lesson plan that is integrated primarily with scientific goals/purposes/behavioral objectives and will allow and encourage the further integration of Mathematics as long as the use of math enhances the main goals and objectives.

Guess that's too much to ask of a prof! Put this experience in your memory files - there will come the day when you will want to answer a student with a flat out NO. Restrain and suggest a similar idea or be ready to explain reason(s) NOT EXCUSES why you answered negatively.

CHeers,
Love you!